Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tooty Fruity Cake





I made this cake for the fourth. It turned out pretty cute, but the good stuff is on the inside. I couldn't decide on pie or cake so we ended up with  the best of both.

I baked two cake mixes, one in two 8 in pans. and the other split between one small cake pan and a cupcake pan(had to have cupcakes on hand to keep the kids from sampling my cake early). I used my cake leveler to level all three cakes and cut the small cake into two.
I piped icing on the outside edge of the top of one of the larger cakes and one of the smaller cakes, making a large circle outline around the top of each. I filled the circle of the small cake with strawberry pie filling and the circle of the big cake with blueberry pie filling and then topped each with the second layer of cake.
I crumb coated both cakes and left them in the fridge over night. The next morning I iced the large cake with blue icing and the small cake with red icing. I cut a variety of circles from gumpaste and place them all over the blue cake. I sat the red cak on top of the blue and secured it with a dowel rod.
I used a piping bag and a star tip to make stripes with white icing and also the borders around the bottom of both cakes. I made these gum paste flowers a couple of days before and attached them to the top with icing.
Top Blogs
Cast Party Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...